We human beings are complex creatures. There are a lot of things going on in our minds. Our mind is full of different types of thoughts, and given the current scenario, most of these thoughts can be negative.
How to fight this? What is the best way to calm our minds? I will suggest Meditation.
In this article, I will be sharing a detailed procedure to meditate at home. Also, this article will tell you about the benefits of meditation and the tips you can apply, or the mistakes that you can avoid to have a fruitful meditation session.
The practice of meditation is around 2600 years old. According to The Good Body, 200 to 500 million people meditate across the globe.
Meditation as a practice is growing. This is because of the numerous benefits of meditation.
Continue reading to know more!
Benefits of meditation
One of the ways to fight anxiety, feelings of being drained, overwhelmed, and stress is meditation. You can start meditating whenever you feel the need to.
Maybe you want to become more focused, improve your relationships, or have some higher developmental goals, all can be done through meditation.
- The Benefits of Meditation include the training of our mind like physical exercises train our body. A study shows that meditators have better memory and concentration power.
- It provides relaxation and space from the daily hustle and bustle of life. It is like taking a step back from your daily hectic routine.
- The silence and stillness achieved through meditation reduces stress, provides time to introspect, and reduces anxiety. It provides a feeling of tranquility and rejuvenation.
- Meditation has many benefits which are scientific and proven. It is proven to improve blood circulation, lower the heart rate, regulate blood pressure levels, and reduce blood- Cortisol levels. Which also helps in improving immunity.
- When you Meditate at home it becomes quite convenient. You can sit in the comfort of your home, do it at whatever time you like, wear whatever you want. In the current scenario, it is safe and also quite useful.
- If you meditate at home you can save yourself from the anxiety of reaching classes, being late, or any other things.
- To meditate at home you can download meditation apps. According to the Business of Apps, HeadSpace has 65 million downloads.
Here, I am sharing a detailed step-by-step method to follow for how to meditate at home. Try to follow this method while meditating.
Steps for meditation
- Step 1
Think about when and where to meditate. Think about a place where you can sit undisturbed, with less noise.
Now, fix a time for your meditation. Adhere to the timing. Think about the time duration for which you will meditate.
Try to fix a schedule so that you don’t forget about meditation.
- Step 2
Now, sit in a comfortable position. There is no rule on how to sit for meditation. Try to find a pose where you feel the most relaxed.
Don’t keep your body uptight and try to sit with your back straight. You can sit cross-legged or keep your legs straight, sit on the floor or a chair.
Remember, meditation is not about how you sit. It is about how you concentrate.
- Step 3
Begin your meditation by breathing slowly. Take a few deep breaths. Keep your eyes open while doing this and gaze at some distance.
The purpose of this step is to prepare your body and mind for meditation. Now, gently close your eyes.
- Step 4
Notice your body, feel all your senses. Notice how you are sitting, how your hands feel.
Try to be aware of all your physical senses- the sense of touch, sound, smell.
- Step 5
Now with every breath notice how your body moves. Feel the movement of your chest, shoulders, ribcage with every inhalation.
How your body fills with positive air when you inhale. Notice how your body moves when you exhale.
Feel how your breath is traveling through your body.
- Step 6
Think about the why? What is the purpose of your meditation? Think about what you are trying to achieve through it and LET IT GO.
Meditation should not be done to achieve something. You should try to enjoy the complete joy of feeling calm and content rather than the need to achieve something through meditation.
- Step 7
When you are meditating, it is very common for your thoughts to wander. You will find yourself thinking about the most random things when you sit to meditate.
Whenever this happens, just try to bring back your focus on breathing.
- Step 8
Be kind towards your wandering mind and your body.
Try not to judge yourselves by your thoughts or feel overwhelmed by them. Don’t be harsh on yourself.
- Step 9
Prepare to finish. Gently open your eyes, try to come back to your physical senses, notice how your hands are placed, notice how you are sitting.
Try to become aware of your physical surroundings.
- Step 10
Most importantly, carry this feeling of calmness with you throughout your day.
Don’t just get up from meditation and go on with your routine in the same hectic way, instead try to bring this calmness and peace in your further actions. Voila, you are good to go.
By following these steps you can meditate at home. You can easily feel the benefits of meditation and the tranquility it brings.
According to Springer Nature, general wellness is the major reason why people take up meditation.
Tips for meditation
While you meditate at home, you may feel that your mind is wandering, you cannot concentrate well or you don’t feel any subsequent changes in yourself.
Here are some tips that will help you meditate better.
- Meditation for beginners can feel boring and daunting. Beginners don’t usually relate to the concept of closing their eyes and not thinking about anything. We know that it may seem funny.
But the essence of meditation lies in this. For a beginner, even if you don’t feel anything after your first few sessions don’t lose hope and commitment.
Try to make it a habit and soon you will feel the benefits of meditation dawning upon you.
- While you meditate at home, you can easily forget to do it. Try to keep reminders so that you don’t forget about your meditation schedule.
- Try to get comfortable with the idea of sitting for a while and doing absolutely nothing.
Don’t feel anxious about sitting ideally. Instead, use this time to reflect upon yourselves and you will discover yourselves in ways that didn’t seem obvious to you at first.
You will feel how meditation can reduce your anxiety.
- You can use external objects to help you focus- like a calming sound or noticing a spontaneous thing.
These things can be used to help you concentrate along with your breath.
Mistakes while you meditate at home
To draw the maximum effect of meditation, try avoiding these general mistakes.
- The most important thing we would like to highlight is that please don’t TRY to meditate. Don’t think that meditation is something you need to work hard on. It comes naturally.
Don’t feel disheartened if you cannot focus. Give some time to yourself, do meditation regularly and you will find how it will start coming to you naturally, the peace and calmness.
- Another mistake is that you are not consistent. Meditation for beginners is tough because they are not regular in their practice.
They are not able to find the time. Especially when you meditate at home, you tend to procrastinate. Be regular in your practice.
Do it only for 10 minutes every day, but remember to do it regularly.
- Keeping very high expectations from meditation is a very common mistake. You want to feel divine and spiritual after every session.
This is not necessary. You may feel good after some sessions, but you can end up feeling miserable after some.
It all depends on the thoughts in your mind, what kind of a day you are having. Not every session will give you divinity and absolute bliss.
- People tend to try very hard to control their thoughts. You tend to force it on yourself that you don’t have to think about anything, that you only need to focus.
You need to understand that it is very normal for our minds to wander when sitting idle. Whenever this happens, just try to focus and you will be good to go.
Meditation benefits your mind, soul, and body. It is a habit that can easily improve your lifestyle and health.
Speaking of facts, meditation is known to have cured chronic pains, reduced the stress hormone- Cortisol, improved symptoms of depression, and increased focus.
Some researchers have even proven meditation to reduce sleep disturbances.
This step-by-step guide shows how easy it is to meditate at home. At the time of a pandemic, it is the safest and most convenient option. It’s a method that can be followed easily.
With the help of meditation, you can change your outlook towards life, train your mind to be optimistic and healthy by blowing away negative thoughts.
Meditation has a connotation of being religious where we think of people sitting under a tree, cross-legged, and going ‘ohmmmm’.
But this guide teaches you how simple it is and how easily it can be done in your home, where you can do it wherever and however you like.
Tell us when you will start meditation? Try following this meditate at home guide.
Comment below with your thoughts.