You know you want a well-toned chest, but not every workout routine suits your lifestyle. A well-rounded routine can be challenging to maintain and never quite gives you the desired results.
However, there are certain types of exercises that workout your chest better than others.
Here’s a guide on how to go about doing the right workout for your chest.
All of us want that toned and sharp body we have seen in posters at the gym and in movies.
Who doesn’t want a Toned Chest and Pumped-Up Pecs?
A toned chest is a sign of physical strength and masculinity. In today’s times, men are becoming more conscious about their bodies. They want to keep their upper body muscles in shape and that’s why we’ve got some best workouts for a chest that will definitely help you get a muscular and toned upper body.
Building muscles for a toned chest is always difficult. If you are a regular gym-goer, you have probably already noticed that it’s not easy to build up your chest. But don’t worry! The good news is that it can be done, and thanks to various workout options, you can get there faster than ever before.
There are way too many Chest Workouts if you search on the internet, But not all of them are easy to go. Hence, we are here with some of the best and most effective workouts for Chest that you can easily do at home!
Before we jump onto the Workout Guide, you should know about the muscles of the chest. How many muscles are there? What are the kinds of muscles? Where are they situated?
In order to make the Workout For Chest successful, you need to work on all the parts of your chest. Here we explain the anatomy of the chest.
The workout For Chest has actually two parts, which are the upper and the lower pectoral muscles. The upper part of the clavicular portion is attached to the clavicle or the collarbone and to several areas of the ribs. The sternal or lower part is attached to the ribs and to the lower part of the sternum.
Chest Muscle Benefits:-
With chest exercises, you’ll notice a maturity of benefits in your pectoralis major and pectoralis minor. These muscles make up the “ pecs” and are our target when performing exercises like drive-ups, dips, dumbbell flys, bench presses, and many more.
Some of the gratuities of chest workout training may include muscle gain, strength increases, and posture advancements.
1. Increase in muscle consistence
2. Contributes to upper- body strength affair
3. Better posture & look
Full Body Benefits:-
1. Greater fat burn
2. Makes everyday tasks more effective
3. Helps maintain muscular balance
Trust me this Exercise helps a lot and you will believe that after going through this article.
Now, we will see the two main muscles that help in chest workouts.
So, Let’s get started,
1. Pectoralis Major
Pectoralis Major is larger than the pectoralis minor and extends to the upper part of the chest. It connects with the bone in the upper arm. It helps in Movement, Depression, and Rotation of the Arm.
2. Pectoralis Minor
Pectoralis Minor lies below the pectoralis major and originates from the middle ribs and is attached to the shoulder blade. It helps in moving the shoulder forward and downward.
Apart from these muscles, two more muscles namely, anterior deltoid and triceps also help in Chest Workout. While working out, make sure that you are working on all of these so as to prevent any injuries and ensure even growth.
3. Workout Plan
There is a certain process for when you start the workout.
Do not jump straight to the main workout. First of all, warm up your muscles so they are ready to take the added pressure when you work out.
Why is Warming up Important?
(i) Reduced Risk of Injuries:-
Warming up increases the elasticity of your muscles, hence making it easier to work out without any injuries!
(ii) Increases Flexibility:–
Always involve some stretching exercises in your Warm-Up Session. It will help in increasing flexibility and warms up the muscles properly for the work out session.
(iii) Increased body Temperature:–
Always involve some stretching exercises in your Warm-Up Session. It will help in increasing flexibility and warms up the muscles properly for the workout session.
(iv) Helps in Mental Preparation:–
Warm up exercises Workout For Chest is not only help in preparing your body but also prepares your mind for the upcoming work out session. It helps in Decluttering the other thoughts and focusing more on the workout.
4. WARMUP PLAN
Warm-up is very important before a workout
Here are some of the best Warm-up plans for your body that keeps you fit:-
(i) Scapular Rotation:–
(ii) Lat Stretch:-
Grab a stable object at the level near your head with palms facing downwards. Position your spine and hips steadily, extend the same side leg behind as you lean forward until you feel a stretch.
Keep a forward torso lean as you attempt to push your head through. Rotate your torso internally and externally.
(iii) Single Arm Swings:-
Flex your one arm and circle it at a fast pace in each direction.
Make sure you cross the arm in front of your body when you are swinging it. After going in both the directions, repeat the same with the other arm.
(iv) Shoulder Flexion-Extension:–
Flex your glutes and extend your arms over and behind your head as much as possible.
Then lower your Arms and Rotate your hands internally to palms facing backwards as you extend them behind your torso.
Keep your shoulder blades pulled back and down as you extend your arms to your hips.
Moving on from the warm up session, now begins the main workout. Explained below are some of the easiest and most efficient Chest Exercises.
These Exercises Are:–
- Barbell Bench Press
- Cable Crossover
- Plyo Push-ups
- Chest Dips
- Resistance Band Pull Apart
- Incline Push-ups
- Dumbbell Fye
(a) BARBELL BENCH PRESS
Barbell bench press is the most classic Chest Exercise. It is usually done to tone the upper body muscles ie, chest, triceps and shoulders. It is beneficial in increasing body strength, size and power. For athletes like football players and hockey players, barbell bench press is a wonderful Chest Workout.
There are four kinds of variations of bench press which are given below. It is not necessary to do all the variations in one workout session. All of them work on some other muscles too apart from the chest muscles.
(i) Traditional Bench Press:-
Traditional bench press is the starter of the Bench Press Variations. Make sure you have mastered it before you move on the next variations.
- Improved bone health
- Strong triceps
- Stronger pectoralis minor
- Increased pushing power
Instructions for Traditional Bench Press:–
- Lie back on the flat bench and hold the barbell a little wider than shoulder-width.
- Press your feet in the ground. Slowly lift the bar off the rack and lower it to your chest while bending your elbows out to the side.
- Stop lowering the weight when your elbows reach below the bench and push the bar back to the original position while pressing your feet towards the ground.
- Repeat the process
(ii) Incline Bench Press:-
Targets Specific Muscle Groups
Protect Your Back
Instructions for Incline Bench Press:-
- Lie on the bench with your hips a little above the bench. Plant your feet still on the ground. Slide down the bench so your hips are on the bench without lifting your feet.
- Grab the barbell a little wider than your shoulder width and un rack it. Bring it exactly above your shoulder with your arms straight.
- Lower down the bar without losing control of your upper body and keep your elbows at 45 degrees angle.
- Tighten your feet onto the ground and press the bar up to the original position.
(iv) Decline Bench Press
Decline Bench Press is a Workout for the Chest with Dumbbells or you can also use a barbell.
Increased Activation of Lower Pecs
Reduced Stress on Back
Reduced Stress on Shoulders
Strength Transfer to Arched Benching
Instructions for Decline Bench Press:-
- Lie down on a decline bench so that your legs are at a higher level than your head.
- Get someone’s help to grip the bar or you can also use dumbbells. Hold the weights at the height of your chest with arms wider than the shoulder width.
- Push the weight till your arms are straight up. Lower Down the Weights to your Chest with elbows out like before.
- Repeat the process.
(v) Narrow Grip Bench Press
The Narrow Grip bench press deserves its place in the pantheon of free- weight exercises – it’s a serenader of a casket-builder. But its exalted status shouldn’t make you hysterical to tinker with the exercise and the first variation you should try, with a barbell at least, is the close- grip bench press.
Instructions for Narrow Grip Bench Press:-
- First of all, position the weights at a comfortable height where you can rack and unrack it easily.
- Lie down on the bench and lift up the weight from the rack with your arms locked and your wrists at shoulder width or a little closer.
- Hold the bar straight over you and bring it towards your chest.
- Now push the bar up and lock the arms at the top.
- Repeat the process
(b) CABLE CROSSOVER
Cable crossover is one of the easiest Workouts for the Chest if you are a beginner who wants a toned and muscular chest.
- Cable crossover works on multiple muscles and is not just a Chest Exercise. It targets triceps and biceps too.
- It activates our core muscles.
- It’s a unilateral exercise which works on one side of your body at a time.
Instructions for Cable Crossover:-
- Place the pulleys in a position higher than your Head and set the Resistance. Hold one pulley in each hand.
- Bend your elbows slightly and stretch your arms to your sides. Do this till you feel that your chest is stretching.
- Bring your arms back to the starting position and use the same wide arc you used while lowering the weight.
- Hold this for a second and repeat when you reach the starting position.
(i) Lower pulley Cable Crossover:–
- Place the handles on the lowest pulleys. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and hands holding the handles besides the thighs.
- Bend your elbows slightly and pull the handles inwards so your hands are in front of your chest.
- Squeeze your chest a little and then go back to the original position.
(ii) Resistance Band Crossover:–
- Place a resistance band around a pole, looped in around the pole. Hold the band at the height of your chest and face away from the pole.
- Place the handles in each hand and keep your back and head straight.
- Pull the handles out till your arms are exactly in front of your chest.
- Cross one hand over the other and keep alternating these hands.
- Repeat the process.
(c) PLYO PUSH-UPS
Plyo Push-ups or Plyometric push-ups are a step ahead of the basic push-ups. It involves lifting your hands off the floor while getting up. It is an efficient Chest Exercise to make it toned and muscular.
- Builds strength, endurance, and speed in the muscles.
- Boosts cardio fitness.
- Activates fast-twitch fiber muscles which help in building muscle mass and strength.
Instructions for Plyo Push-ups:-
- With a high plank position, tighten your core and bring your palms directly under your palms.
- Start lowering your body till your chest is almost touching the floor.
- As you start to move up, put enough force that you can lift your hands off the ground. Move back to the ground and do the next rep immediately.
(d) LEVELLING UP PLYO PUSH-UPS
Keep in mind that you should do these variations only when you have mastered the basic plyo push-ups, else it will result in muscular injuries or even permanent damages.
- Try doing more than just one clap.
- Elevate your feet a little to make it harder.
- Try clapping behind your body.
- You can also try hop side to side plyo.
- it makes you fit
(e) CHEST DIP
Chest dips are one of the Best Chest Workouts and are really easy to do. You just need two parallel bars.
- Dips not only strengthen your chest but also widen it.
- Dips improve stability.
- It activates multiple muscle groups.
Instructions for Chest Dips:-
- Stand between two parallel bars, grab them and jump up and straighten your arms.
- Lean forward by lowering your body and bending your arms.
- Keep lowering your body till your shoulders get lower than your elbows.
- Lift up by straightening your arms and lock your elbows at the top. Repeat.
(f) RESISTANCE BAND PULL APART
Apart from just a chest workout, resistance band pull apart can also cure back pain that we usually experience because of sitting down for too long that too in a slouching position. It is very easy to do and can be done anywhere.
- Enhances stability of your shoulders.
- Improves upper body strength.
- Improves posture.
- Lower chances of injury.
Instructions for Resistance Band Pull Apart:-
- Stand up straight and hold a resistance band in front of your chest with your hands shoulder width apart.
- Pull the band apart by squeezing your shoulder blades.
- Return to the original position and repeat.
(i) Three-level Band:
- This is a three step variation of basic resistance band pull apart.
- Firstly, do the band pull apart at the height of your head.
- Then move to your upper chest and then bottom of your rib cage.
(ii) Diagonal Band Pull Apart
- Hold the band in such a way that your one hand is at the level of your shoulder and the other at the level of your stomach. Pull apart the band and do a full set.
- Once you’re done, change hands. The one which was at the stomach should be at the shoulders and vice versa.
(g) INCLINE PUSH-UPS
Incline push-ups are an easier form of traditional push-ups. If you are a beginner, try doing incline push-ups before the normal ones. It majorly targets the main chest muscles.
- It works on multiple muscles including shoulders, arms, hips and legs.
- It also engages your core muscles.
Instructions for Incline Push-ups:–
- Stand straight in front of a bench, table or a sturdy stool.
- Position your hands on the edge of the bench a little wider than your shoulders, arms straight and align your feet so that your whole body is in a straight line.
- Slowly lower down your body towards the bench by bending your elbows.
- Now push your body away from the bench till it comes back to the original position but do not lock your arms.
- Repeat the process.
(h) DUMBBELL FLYE
This is one of the Best Workouts for the Chest with Dumbbells. It works on the chest and the shoulders too.
- May help in reducing back pain.
- Increases range of motion.
- Strengthens shoulders.
- Improves posture.
Instructions for Dumbbell Flye:-
- Lie on the bench and your feet planted flat on the ground.
- Hold the dumbbells right in front of your chest with arms straight.
- Lower the weights in arc motion until they reach the level of your chest. Your arms to be extended to the side.
- Move your arms back to the original position and repeat.
A workout session doesn’t become great without the required diet. Your muscles need proper nutrients. When you workout, your body goes through a process known as “Muscle tear”. It is not something you should worry about until and unless it’s making it difficult to do even basic chores. To make up for the muscle tear, you need to consume a proper nutritional diet.
If you are someone who does Workout for the Chest, here are some food items that you should include in your diet.
Eggs are one of the best sources of protein, which is immensely needed for people who exercise, no matter what part of their body they are working upon.
Protein helps a lot in muscle building. Apart from proteins, eggs also provide multiple types of vitamins, including vitamin A, B, E and K.
Leafy vegetables like spinach are very rich in calcium and iron. Consuming leafy vegetables improves metabolism and makes the bones healthier.
It also helps in building muscles. Spinach is nutrient rich and healthy in every way!
(iii) Meat and Chicken
Apart from eggs, meat and chicken are very rich in protein.
The amount of protein in chicken is very high as compared to other food items which support building muscles and mass. It also makes our bones stronger.
Carbohydrates are the main sources of energy in our body. Carbs are really efficient in recovering the muscles after the workout. Carbs work as fuel to our bodies, when we do not have enough of them, our muscles become weaker and their health degrades.
Hence, it is important to have proper carb value in your diet if you are planning to build muscles.
Working out towards achieving your goals isn’t impossible. Just stay determined and consistent with your workout schedule. It might be very difficult to take out time and work out but make sure you move as much as possible to maintain a healthy and fit body.
Stay hydrated and healthy!
What do you think about the Workout for the Chest explained above? Tell us in the comments.
if you liked the blog, don’t forget to like and share!
No one is a born expert and we suggest that you must undergo this workout session under professional supervision.
You Can Also Read:- YOGA CHEST WORKOUT